Sunday, July 1, 2007

A Favorite Mantra to Help Pray Without Ceasing

Dear Kit and Brian (and other Beings who I really respect),
Most all of my family, coworkers and neighbors think differently from myself. So I find that, I have to watch what I say, in order to keep peace. Last week, I wrote Brian how much he inspired me, when I lived, in Calitornia with his days of silence. Brian would wear a name tag declaring your "silence day", or what specifically, Brian, was the phrase that you used on the tag?
Kit, from our Unity church here in S.C. asked for favorite mantras in newsletter recently, so here is one of mine to keep myself more silent and more aware: Need say nothing. This is adapted from a favorite ACIM quote which has helped me in stressful situations: Need do nothing. And then the other day, I found this quote from Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet which to me says it all about compulsive talking:
Talking
And then a scholar said, Speak of Talking
And he answered,. saying:
You talk when you cease to be at peace
with your thoughts;
And when you can no longer dwell
in the solitude of your heart, you live
in your lips, and sound is a diversion and
a pastime.
And in much of your talking, thinking is half-murdered.
For thought is a bird of space,
that in a cage of words may indeed unfold
its wings but cannot fly.

In gratitude for peaceful silence, Ron
ironically, as I sit hear listening to some good loud music!

No comments: